|Location||14th Street on the north, 15th Street on the south, Racine Avenue on the east, Loomis Street on the west...|
|Neighborhood||Near West Side/University Village|
The Loomis Courts housing project was the third set of projects built within the “ABLA” housing projects cluster that was built between 1938 and 1961. Construction of the Loomis Courts began in October of 1950 as the second project complex within the ABLA for African Americans only which was a 126 unit mid-rise complex with 2 buildings that were 7 story apartments, this project was completed in 1952.
Just like the neighboring projects in the ABLA complex the Loomis Courts started out in the right direction providing ideal and safe housing in the community in the 1950s and the earlier 1960s. Starting in the mid-1960s CHA screening became more lax and many criminals and other undesirables were allowed to move in, soon these projects became to fall victim of crime and drugs and by the mid-1970s CHA could no longer budget renovations.
Gangs moved into the projects as early as the 1950s as Egyptian Cobras, Imperial Champlains and Vice Lords made their way into the ABLA area. By the later 1970s the gangs dominated all of the ABLA area as Vice Lords and Black Gangsters (New Breeds) waged war with one another.
The 1980s and 1990s were the most violent decades in these projects as Conservative Vice Lords, Traveling Vice Lords and New Breeds waged violent drug wars through these buildings. In the year 2005 these buildings were renovated and still stand today.
Zook Published: Updated: