K-Town

In the official books it says K-Town is only in the streets of North Lawndale and West Garfield Park, however, you can’t just say that on the streets because many people, especially the guys that have been gang banging for years can tell you K-Town’s borders are wider.  K-Town is …

Lower West Side: Heart of Chicago

This area was first settled in the 1840s when German and Irish immigrants settled in the area because of the Southwestern Plank Road that eased trade routes all the way up and down the Illinois Michigan Canal.  The early settlers also worked on the canal in the 1840s which was …

South Lawndale: Marshall Square

This area was first settled in 1827 as the largest part of the Lawndale-Crawford settlement; from there many farms were built in the area. In the year 1863 the expansion of the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy railroads caused Lawndale and Crawford to become separate communities with Lawndale on the north …

Logan Square: Bucktown

Logan Square was first settled by Martin Kimball (yes, Kimball Avenue is named after him) in the year 1836.  It was not until 1850 that others began arriving in the area that Martin Kimball had began building farms on the land.  The community became known as the town of “Jefferson” …

West Town: Wicker Park

Wicker Park is bounded by: Bloomingdale Avenue on the north, Division Street on the south, Ashland Avenue on the east and Western Avenue on the west. This area was first laid out in subdivisions by Charles and Joel Wicker in the year 1870.  In the year 1871 the area got …

West Town: East Humboldt Park

This area in bounded by: Bloomingdale Avenue on the north, Chicago Avenue on the south, Western Avenue on the east, California Avenue to Sacramento Avenue on the west. This neighborhood was originally settled by Polish, German and Russian Jews in the 19th century and early 20th century. In 1964 the …

West Town: East Village

This area is bounded by Division Street on the north, Chicago Avenue on the south, Ashland Avenue on the east, Damen Avenue on the west. The area was first settled by German immigrants in the 19th century, and then in the 1890s Polish immigrants joined them and continued to flood …

West Town: Noble Square

The area in bounded by Division Street on the north, Chicago Avenue on the south, Dan Ryan Expressway on the east, Ashland Avenue on the west. I do not know much early history of this section of West Town but by 1952 the Gay Lords street gang was hanging out …

West Town: River West

This area is bounded by Division Street on the north, the railroad tracks by Kinzie Avenue on the south, Chicago River on the east, Dan Ryan Expressway on the west. This area was known about and settled as far back as 1837 due to it being so close to the …

West Town: Ukrainian Village

This area is bounded by Division Street on the north, Chicago Avenue on the south, Damen Avenue on the east, Western Avenue on the west. This area was first settled in the 19th century as Germans were the first to settle the area, then by the 1890s Slavic Ukrainians settled …